About Our Churches
Our Lady of Lourdes
Mass - 5:30 pm Saturday (Vigil)
Silverdale Road, Arnside, LA5 0DX
During the two centuries following the Reformation, Catholicism in the district was centered on Leighton Hall, subsequently expanding to the Parish of Yealand with the building of St. Mary's Church in 1852.
The first celebration of Mass in Arnside is recorded as being held in a private house in 1926 for a congregation of just seven people. Later in the same year, a Roman Catholic Church was established at Pier Lane which had just been vacated by the Educational Institute. This continued to be used as a Mass Centre for over fifty years but it was often too small to accommodate those who wished to worship. In 1977 the Church was transferred to the present premises on Silverdale Road, which had started life as the first Arnside National School before being dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes.
The Arnside community is under the patronage of Our Lady of Lourdes.
Christ the King
Mass - 10:30 am Sunday
15 Haverflatts Lane, Milnthorpe, LA7 7PS
The Parish of Milnthorpe also covers the villages of Beetham, Burton, Holme, Heversham, and Storth. Milnthorpe's first Mass Centre began in 1935 and the first chapel was the Old Malt Kiln, which was converted to be a chapel in 1947 and continued to serve as a chapel until 1970. In 1970, a modern church was built in Haverflatts Lane to serve the expanding community. It is dedicated to Christ the King. It was a gift of two parishioners who had already from time to time helped to keep in good condition the "Old Church". A parish hall was added to it in 2007. Of particular interest in the "new" church is a large stained glass window depicting the creation of the world, made by the monks of Buckfast Abbey and designed by Fr. Charles Norris, OSB. A striking continuous 29 feet long ceramic tells the story of the Way of the Cross in one uninterrupted pictorial narrative, on the west wall of the church. Both this and the figure of Christ the King, on the entrance wall of the church, were designed and made by the famous Polish artist Adam Kossowski.
St Charles Borromeo
& St Cuthbert
Mass - 9 am Sunday
Kents Bank Road, Grange-over-Sands, LA11 7EY
The parish of St Charles Borromeo and St Cuthbert was founded in 1883, after a time when the scattered community was served less formally. A parish hall was built behind the Church in 2005, and it is much used by the local community of Grange.
At Flookburgh a Mass centre and then a Chapel of ease was started in 1934 and rebuilt in 1988. Until recently, Masses were held regularly at St. Cuthberts, however, the chapel is now closed.
In the Kent Estuary Catholic Churches we aim:
To be a welcoming family of faith,
To lead people to Jesus,
To help people experience God’s love,
All in the power of the Holy Spirit.